Sunday, March 20, 2011

See, the thing is...

Goodbye is a hard thing, and Jesus had to say it - a real person, with a real family, and real feelings. His goodbye to his own mother, Mary...


"And then the morning Jesus came in from the shop early...Her son took off his nail apron, dusted off his hands, and with one last look said goodbye to his mother...Mary learned that day the heartache that comes from saying goodbye. From then on, she was to love her son from a distance; on the edge of a crowd, outside a packed house, on the shore of the sea."


The Savior of this world had a very serious passion and commitment to share the Gospel and to make disciples throughout the world and this commitment required goodbye.


Goodbye to what? Could be a number of things - to a comfortable and familiar life, to family and friends, to home, to a career, to hobbies, to security, to wealth, to opportunities, to relationships, to dreams, to plans, to half your salary, to your dream house, to your bed for a stranger on a cold night, to your luxuries for the needs of others, to occasions you don't want to miss, to a retirement fund, to your comfort zone, to your safety...


And what is to be after goodbye? For Jesus it was a life of service and sacrifice, only to be constantly persecuted and mocked, sacrificed by the Father through his crucifixion, and ultimately denied in the hearts of those he died to save. 


Whatever is to come after goodbye, change is part of the equation. And change can often get under my skin. But this time, as Mike and I have stepped out of (said goodbye to) the life we had been building I've felt a new firmness of our foundation. For God cares for even the birds. Matthew 25-34. Because in discontentment, due to whatever circumstance or reason, Satan can easily succeed at his work by robbing us of what the Lord has for us - joy, blessings, opportunities to share his love, sacrifice and purpose.


So just as Christ said goodbye and welcomed the changes, I will try. I've had my moments. I've been actively transitioning. But I will try. For I know, just as a friend of a friend of a friend doing mission work (thanks Holly!), that the call to go and make disciples of all nations is too high a calling to give up because I'm discontent.


So here's to the moments - back in Walhalla, unemployed, on our trip out West this summer, on tops of the mountains, along the trails, in the towns, with the people, after our trip, back in Walhalla, still unemployed, as we move forward...to live intentionally, contently in the process of getting where we're going. And it is not our purpose that prevails, but the Lord's. Proverbs 19:21. 

No comments:

Post a Comment