And this being the personal blog of a dietitian, I don't share recipes nearly enough. You can consider that confession #3. And I've just made a solemn vow to start! And you must know how I feel about vows, so - shall we?
Monday night menu this week in my little household was Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup with Toasted French Bread. I know, I know, it has really been warming up. God bless my dear, sweet SC for putting some umph into each season - I'd call her a showoff in that department! Anyway, Spring is too late for soup, but gimme a break and just make it sometime in April and you won't be sorry!
Ingredients:
3 cups diced tomatoes with juice (you can use canned, I used a combination)
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced onions
1 Tbsp fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
4 Tbsp fresh basil or 1 Tbsp dried1/2 bay leaf
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup flour
1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup butter
2 cups half and half, warmed (You could use skim if you want to skinny it up)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepperAnd here's the destructions - and you'll call it that too if your husband tries to step in and help.

1. Heat oil in 4 quart soup pot. Add celery, onions and carrots. Saute 5 minutes. Add basil, oregano, bay leaf, tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring it to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender (about 15 minutes).


Never hurts to have a friendly reminder :) In case I botch the batch.
And that first bite right there, I'm tellin' you what...you won't care one bit if its 90 degrees outside :)
Recipe courtesy of Karen Petersen. I stumbled across this on Pinterest (its like the Walmart of online sites, you can leave there with everything you need plus tons of stuff you never even planned on!) which took me straight to her blog Utah Mama.

















No comments:
Post a Comment